- Published on Tuesday, 01 May 2012 11:06
Are you a babysitter, looking for fun ideas? Check out the list below! I (Shara) spent about 16 years working for different families as a nanny. I was always on the look-out for fun ideas to use with the kids. I now implement a great deal of what I learned over the years with my own four children. Beth and I hope you find the list below beneficial.
Ideas from Beth:
1. Create a fort using blankets, pillows and other soft items.
2. Scavenger or Treasure Hunt – hide items and make up clues or a map to find the items. View an article here with tips: Scavenger Hunt
3. Make Smoothies – bananas, frozen berries, yogurt, etc.
4. Make Homemade play-doh. View play-doh recipes here.
8. Have a parade – make instruments and hats.
9. Create a nature diary from items found in the yard.
10. Put on some music and dance or freeze dance.
Ideas from Shara:
1. Go to neighborhood yard sales with the kids: teach them to be on the lookout for items that can be reused and recycled/repurposed - lessons in conservation and recycling can be learned from yard sales.
2. Engage in open-ended PLAY activities!
3. Understand the differences between structured play and free play - and utilize both.
4. Ten indoor ideas for rainy days.
5. Spend meal times together. A great deal of research has been done on the value and importance of family meal time. Sitters can implement this routine, too. Use the breakfast, lunch or dinner time to chat, bond and engage with the kids.
6. Go for a SHAPES walk.
7. Remember to laugh with the kids - this is so important! Laughter is good for the body, mind and soul.
8. Use these simple ideas to set up the home as a "learning place."
9. Don't be afraid to play in the dirt!
10. 50 fun activity ideas...